Are you tired of cranking up your Travel Trailer by hand? Are you wondering where those sore shoulders came from? Or maybe you’re wondering what to replace your old worn out electric jack with.
In this post, I’m going to review My Top 5 Best Electric Tounge Jacks and show you that There IS a Better Way!
The old manual tongue jacks served their purpose in the day and have been standard equipment on most travel trailers forever. But, times have changed. A few years ago electric tongue jacks started to appear but were only an option that you could buy as an upgrade.
In recent years, some in the RV industry have started to include Electric Tongue Jacks as standard equipment. But, it turns out the ones they use are not all that great. In my opinion, they are of lesser quality and don’t last as long as they should and are not the ones I am reviewing here.
We had one trailer that we chose the electric option for and had to replace it twice. We had an extended warranty and they replaced the jack at no charge to us. They gave us a better brand for the second replacement.
Today, Electric tongue jacks are becoming more common but, as I said, they are still not the best quality. Now, however, there are better options available when the old ones break.
Some are digital (with memory). Some are more powerful (up to 5000 lb capacity), while others have advances in technology that weren’t available even a couple of years ago.
So… with that said, let’s get into what’s available for us RV’rs that are looking to upgrade. One more thing; the prices are pretty reasonable as well, In my humble opinion of course.
UPDATE AND WARNING!
I received a comment from a visitor today that caused me some concern. This person thought that these jacks could be used for lifting a vehicle to fixe a flat tire. I want to clear this up before I move on with this post.
This is no reflection on the person who left the comment. On the contrary, nobody knows everything about everything, myself included. With that said, here goes and I hope this will clear things up.
Electric Jacks, like the ones I have reviewed here, are not made to be used to lift your truck, car or any other vehicle.
Their sole purpose of THESE Jacks is to raise the front end of the TRAILER high enough so that the tow vehicle can back under the hitch and then the jack lowers the hitch down onto the ball of the tow vehicle and is properly attached so it can be towed to a destination.
Husky 82022 Super Brute Electric Jack with Remote Control
Price: $248.99 at Amazon.com
- This jack has a 5,000 lb. lift capacity, the strongest in this list
- A full 18″ stroke.
- Easy to use soft-trigger switches with a backlit panel.
- 3-sided high-output LED light system for easier night hitching
- Up/Down 6″ cycle travel time of 60 seconds. This would take longer if you had to manually crank it.
- Comes with a 6″ 10-gauge power supply line
- 2-1/4″ jack diameter
- Equipped with an advanced 20mm Ball Screw which is designed to provide superior lifting capacity which reduces friction, amperage draw and motor wear. High Capacity Ball Nut rated for heavy-duty use, gives this jack a 20% increase in rated capacity
- One year Warranty.
I listed this one first because of its lift Capacity and the number of positive reviews.
- I jack is reasonably priced at $248 considering the 5000 lb capacity
- No strong arm required
- Easy to use and install
- Has remote control. (Don’t lose it. You could Velcro it to the inside of a storage door)
- Out of 89 Amazon customer reviews, 76 were 4-5 star and 13 were 3 or less
- Easy on the back
- More expensive than a manual jack which is to be expected right?
- Like all electrical gadgets, it could break down. Humans made it so it’s not perfect. You still have the manual jack until you can replace it.
Uriah Products UC500010 Electric Trailer Jack
Price: $186.43 US at Amazon.com plus shipping and import fees to Canada
- Lift range: 9″ to 31.5″ which includes the 4.5″ Drop leg. A total travel height of 18 inches.
- Up to 5000 lbs jacking capacity. As with all products that have a capacity rating, It is advised that you do not exceed those maximum weight capacities.
- Easy to use switch for raising and lowering your hitch on and off the tow vehicle.
- Water resistant motor with a one-piece plastic housing. I would still recommend covering the motor with a bucket or other water PROOF covering.
- This Jack has an oversize adjustable foot pad which provides great stability.
- Ball screw design and Brake motor increases lift efficiency and reduced friction.
- The 7-way quick plug-in connector with a plastic holder to keep the connector in place when not in use.
- Less expensive than the Husky but still a great value
- Also has a 5000 LB Capacity. Should be more than enough to do the job.
- Easy to use. No elbow grease required.
- Easy to install. No need to wire into the trailer electrical system. An advantage if your trailer has a manual jack.
- The shipping costs via Amazon are a little high but even included this is still a good value
- One would have to unplug the trailed 7-pin plug in order to use the jack plug unless you had tow 7-pin plugs on the tow vehicle. This would just be a small inconvenience and really, you don’t need to have the trailer plugged in anyway.
- Motor mounted on the front instead of the side. This, apparently makes it hard for some truck owners to let down their truck tailgates.
Next up I have the
Husky HB4500 4500 lbs. Brute Power Jack
Price: $185.99 US from Amazon.com plus shipping and import fees to Canada
- This trailer jack has a powerful 4,500-pound rating, 12-volt operation with hardened steel gears
- 18-inch full stroke and a 6-inch adjustable drop-down leg reduces time to set jack which reduces wear and tear on the motor
- 3-sided LED light system to illuminate hitch and spring bar area
- Has a friction-reducing ball screw, a feature usually found in more expensive jacks
- Weather-resistant trailer connector storage bracket
- One piece cover to keep the rain out
- Less weight capacity but still a great choice with plenty of lifting power
- Cheaper than the Husky 82022 Super Brute
- Storage for the 7-pin plug.
- Easy installation and, again, no need to wire into the trailer electrical system.
- Seems to be more popular than the Husky 82022 Super Brute, probably because it’s cheaper.
- 603 customer reviews on Amazon with an average of 4.3 stars (76% – 5-star rating)
- Same as above: The motor is mounted on the front instead of the side. This, apparently makes it hard for some truck owners to let down their truck tailgates.
- Shipping costs are about $50 shipping to Canada. That said, I still think it’s a good value
Next up we have the:
Bulldog Reese 500199 A-Frame Power Jack 4000 LB Capacity
Price: $221.99 from Amazon.com Plus shipping and import fees into Canada
- Powerful Jack with heavy-duty 4000 lbs. lift capacity.
- An exclusive Spring Loaded Drop Leg Pull Pin give you 22″ of total travel -14″ travel plus a long 8″ drop leg makes for easy access, even when a weight distribution system is in place.
- Single-Axis Level makes level deployment easy
- Emergency Manual Override allows operation in case your battery goes dead.
- 3 LED Courtesy Lights Illuminate the coupling area which makes hooking up and disconnecting at night easy.
- Easy to install.
- Strong 4000 LB lift capacity.
- Quiet operation
- Spring Loaded Drop Leg Pull Pin provides 22″ of total travel -14″ travel plus 8″ drop leg.
- Easy access, even when a weight distribution system is present.
- Single-Axis Level makes level deployment effortless
- Emergency Manual Override when the battery is drained
- Some reviews say that the supplied LED lights are not bright enough. One said they can be replaced.
- Make sure you purchase butt to butt connectors for 10 Gage wires, (not supplied by the manufacturer).
- Does not come with bolts to connect it to the trailer. Keep the old ones or purchase new.
Lippert Smart Jack with 3,500 lbs. Capacity
I wanted to include this power jack because it has a couple of extra goodies that make lifting, hitching and lowering your trailer even easier. I’ll get to that in a moment.
Price: $257.21 + $153.80 Shipping & Import Fees Deposit to Canada
- One of the features I wanted to mention is the “Auto-hitch memory” function. This means that the Smart jack remembers where your hitch height is. This means that you can raise your hitch off your tow vehicle and, all you do is press and release both the up and down arrow simultaneously 3 times within 2 seconds, and the jack will automatically retract or extend to the original hitch height position. I think this is a great feature.
- 3, 500-pound capacity
- XL 9″ diameter foot pad. The largest I have read about.
- Drop leg with four position height adjustments
- Standard XL 9″ diameter foot pad.
- Auto-Hitch Memory Function.
- Backlit control panel which makes it easier to operate in the dark.
- Comes with bolts. I don’t think the others include this.
- LED lights that shine on the hitch the way they should.
- The 3500 LB Capacity is the lowest of these jacks and would not be the best choice for trailers with a hitch weight over 1100 LBS.
- The shipping charges to Canada. The purchase price is $394.28 CDN when ordering from Amazon.ca and shipping is free.
So… there you have it. These are my top choices for Electric Tongue Jacks to help you stop being a crank and keep you in a better mood with less pain.
No sweat, no sore muscles, not too hard on the pocketbook.
I want to be honest with you. I don’t have any of these on my travel trailer But I do have an electric jack that has a 3500 LB capacity. (Came with the trailer). It really is a nice upgrade from the old-fashioned crank-it system.
If I was to make a choice of which one I would like on my trailer, I would choose the Husky 82022 and I intend to get one as soon as the budget allows for it. I like the extra 1500 LBS of lifting capacity and the security that comes with it.
I hope you have enjoyed reading this post and that it has been some help to you in choosing your next electric tongue jack.
If you have had any experience with electric tongue jacks (good or bad) I would love to read your story. If you have any questions or comments please leave them in the space provided below as well and I will answer them as soon as I see them. Usually the same day.
Also, if there is anything that you would like me to write about or an issue you would like me to discuss, you can leave that request at the bottom of this post as well.
Until then, I hope you have a safe and happy camping season this year and, remember to always drive safe.